Sunday, October 12, 2008

Music of my heart...

Today in Primary, we happened to sing "A Child's Prayer" For those who may not remember the words here they are some of them...

Heavenly Father, are you really there?
And do you hear and answer ev’ry child’s prayer?
Some say that heaven is far away,
But I feel it close around me as I pray.
Heavenly Father, I remember now
Something that Jesus told disciples long ago:
“Suffer the children to come to me.”
Father, in prayer I’m coming now to thee.

Pray, he is there;
Speak, he is list’ning.
You are his child;
His love now surrounds you.
He hears your prayer;
He loves the children.
Of such is the kingdom, the kingdom of heav’n.
(Words and music: Janice Kapp Perry, b. 1938)

Those words spoke to my fragile heart today. My 9-year old primary boys probably wondered what on earth was the matter with me, but in fact, the windows of heaven opened for a moment and comforted me with the words...and His spirit, His love did surround me.

Yesterday, I was driving toward Dad's funeral and heard an instrumental version of "Dearest Children, God is Near You." I was humming along when those words made me stand at attention.

Dearest Children, God is near you;
Watching o'er you day and night;
And delights to own and bless you;
If you try to do what's right.

He will bless you!
He will bless you!
If you put your trust in Him.

We have been laying our burdens at the Savior's feet and trusting in Him that he knows best and will help and support us. I felt that this song came to my mind as a witness to His promise to care for us. Another Tender Mercy.

Today as Katie contemplates her mission and when to go... again I was touched by music:

Do What is Right...#237
The third verse:
Do what is right, be faithful and fearless.
Onward, press onward the goal is in sight.
Eyes that are wet now ere long will be tearless.
Blessings await you in doing what's right!

Too many applications to be coincidence. My soul has been soothed by the music we love. I will never sing these songs in the same way again. I thank our Heavenly Father for his care and keeping of me this day as He always has. I wish it hadn't taken this sort of shock to help me remember who I am and who loves me and my family; and who will do about anything to calm a troubled heart. I love my Father in Heaven, and my brother, the Savior Jesus Christ.

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed